On 5 October I'm speaking at a West Yorkshire Museum Development Forum meeting on the subject of working with consultants. I've written about this topic before, so to make the links easy to find i've brought them together in one post, along with some other resources that might be helpful.
First up are three linked posts I wrote a few years ago after running a GEM training course on working with freelancers and consultants. Thanks to Ali Bodley and Vicky Dawson for their input into the thinking behind these posts:
- Working with consultants: recruitment
- Working with consultants: contracting
- Working with consultants: managing the relationship
Next, a post on how to be a successful freelancer from 2015. Obviously it's written from the freelance perspective but might give some insight to those of you thinking of working with consultants.
Finally, some practical external links:
- HMRC guidance on employment status
- Information on late payment legislation from payontime.co.uk
- There's a useful guide called 'How to work with Consultants' from Big Lottery-funded community business charity Power to Change. It's not museum specific but much of the advice is applicable across sectors.
- There's lots of helpful advice and guidance on freelancing from the Creative Boom website.
If you know of any other good resources on working with or working as a consultant, let me know and I'll add the links to this post.