What We Do
We provide practical, effective advice and help on all aspects of museum and heritage interpretation, whether on site, online or through programming. We’ll work with you to define what you want to achieve and how best to go about it. We take a human-centred approach to design and interpretation and have experience of co-producing work with audiences and working with artists and creatives. Talk to us about:
- Audience research
- Co-production and collaboration
- Concept development
- Interpretation masterplanning and storyboarding
- Detailed exhibition and AV content planning
- Support with curating and writing exhibitions.
Take a look at the portfolio for examples of previous work.
Image: the Holocaust Exhibition & Learning Centre project
We’ve managed museum capital projects through RIBA stages from design to completion and understand how stressful this can be. We can manage a project for you or support with key tasks. Emma is Prince2 qualified and can help translate ‘project management speak’ into everyday language. We can help with:
- Scoping and planning a project and budget
- Briefing, commissioning and managing contractors
- Agreeing parameters for budget, quality and time
- Identifying and managing risks
- 'Value engineering', otherwise known as saving money
- Problem solving when things don’t go as planned.
Writing and editing
We have expertise in producing clear written communication for different audiences. Emma has a postgraduate qualification in creative writing together with extensive experience in writing, proofing and editing exhibition text, website copy and publications. These are some of the areas we can help with:
- Creating text guidelines and style guides for exhibitions and online content
- Writing accessible, audience-focused exhibition copy and object labels
- Writing and editing web content, blogs and social media content
- Creating guidebooks and exhibition catalogues
- Proof reading and editing existing text.
Take a look at some of our previous writing projects in the Portfolio.
We can match your needs to funders' priorities and write effective, eye-catching bids. We can help you:
- Turn your idea into a practical plan that attracts investment and support
- Write effective business plans, audience development plans and strategies
- Consult with potential funders to identify the best way forward for your project
- Plan a fundraising strategy drawing on different sources of income
- Write compelling funding bids and supporting documents. We specialise in National Lottery Heritage Fund and Arts Council England applications.
Evaluation and consultation
We conduct all kinds of user research, from small scale research projects to ongoing impact assessments handling qualitative and quantitative data. We can help you to:
- Map your stakeholders and understand their needs
- Plan and deliver an effective consultation strategy
- Devise a practical evaluation framework to work from
- Design and deliver qualitative and quantitative data collection methods to suit the needs of your audience
- Analyse and write up findings and recommendations in a clear, practical and useable way.
Take a look at the portfolio for examples of our consultation work.
Image: All About Me at Eureka! The National Children's Museum.
We can help you discover creative ways of using your collections and knowledge to enable everyone to get involved in learning. We can:
- Create a realistic, evidence based learning strategy
- Audit your existing programmes and recommend improvememts
- Create new learning resources and workshops, whether on site and online
- Train staff and volunteers to deliver effective learning
- Develop and assess quality standards
- Fundraise for learning projects
- Manage learning projects.
Image: Leeds students interviewing a D-Day veteran during the Royal Armouries Museum's Sharing European Memories project.