I offer practical advice and help on all aspects of museum and heritage interpretation, whether on site, online or through programming. I’ll work with you to define what you want to achieve and how best to go about it. I love to work collaboratively and am experienced at managing teams, including designers and artists, to find the best way of reaching your audiences. Talk to me about:
- Audience research
- Co-production and collaboration
- Concept development
- Interpretation masterplanning and storyboarding
- Detailed exhibition and AV content planning
- Support with curating and writing exhibitions.
Take a look at my portfolio for examples of previous work.
Image: the Holocaust Exhibition & Learning Centre project
I’ve managed museum exhibition projects through RIBA stages from concept design to completion and understand how stressful this can be. I can manage a project for you or support with key tasks. I'm Prince2 qualified and can help translate ‘project management speak’ into everyday language. I can help with:
- Scoping and planning a project and budget
- Briefing, commissioning and managing contractors
- Agreeing parameters for budget, quality and time
- Identifying and managing risks
- 'Value engineering', otherwise known as saving money
- Problem solving when things don’t go as planned.
Writing and editing
I have expertise in producing clear written communication for different audiences. I have a postgraduate qualification in creative writing together with extensive experience in writing, proofing and editing exhibition text, website copy and publications. These are some of the areas I can help with:
- Creating text guidelines and style guides for exhibitions and online content
- Writing accessible, audience-focused exhibition copy and object labels
- Writing and editing web content, blogs and social media content
- Creating guidebooks and exhibition catalogues
- Proof reading and editing existing text.
Take a look at some of my previous writing projects in the Portfolio.
Strategy and Fundraising
I've worked at strategic level in a number of organisations managing business planning and strategic development, expecially in the context of fundraising. I can help you to:
- Turn your idea into a practical plan that attracts investment and support
- Research and write meaningful and practical business plans and strategies
- Consult with stakeholders to identify the best way forward for your project
- Write fluent, eye-catching funding bids
- Research and write supporting documents, particularly National Lottery Heritage Fund Audience Development Plans.
Find out about my current work in the Portfolio.
Evaluation and consultation
I conduct all kinds of user research, from small scale research projects to ongoing impact assessments handling qualitative and quantitative data. I can help you to:
- Map your stakeholders and understand their needs
- Plan and deliver an effective consultation strategy
- Devise a practical project evaluation framework
- Design and deliver qualitative and quantitative data collection methods to suit the needs of your audience
- Analyse and write up findings and recommendations in a clear, practical and useable way.
Take a look at the portfolio for examples of my consultation work.
Image: All About Me at Eureka! The National Children's Museum.
I can help you discover creative ways of using your collections, stories and knowledge to enable everyone to get involved in learning, for example:
- Create a realistic, evidence based learning strategy
- Audit your existing learning programmes and recommend improvements
- Train staff and volunteers to deliver effective learning
- Develop and assess quality standards
- Fundraise for learning projects
- Manage learning projects.
Image: Leeds students interviewing a D-Day veteran during the Royal Armouries Museum's Sharing European Memories project.